The following steps are needed for encrypted email:
- Install enigmail in thunderbird.
- Tutorial on how to generate keys. System interface is crap. Help is not much better.
- Establish a mechanism for key exchange. Possibly just by using public key servers offered in enigmail.
- Signing of each other's keys to establish web of trust.
- By default Thunderbird doesn't show the menu bar. To make managing encryption easier, ensure that menu bar is visible.
- Sign your own cert, or it will not be trusted.
- Default is to always trust keys. Is this desirable for eastablishing a web of trust?
- Is a screencast for setting this up a good idea? Could be useful for other members of GLLUG who don't always come to meetings, as well as people outside the group. Possibly good evangelism.
- Should we create guidelines for secure key escrow? CD/Flash drive in a safe deposit box?